Despite the freezing temperatures, things are going pretty well, here are the latest news from Mageia .
- Logo choice, process and decision: As explained on the mageia-discuss mailing-list, the Mageia Founders has short-listed 27 logos, following guidelines and the result of discussions on the mailing-list. Epoll will be used by the Founders to vote for 2 or 3 preferred ones and then the final logo will be chosen from amongst that still shorter list. This should happen by the end of this week. Again many thanks to all who spent time and energy on their proposals!
- Mageia.Org association: as explained on previous blog post, Mageia.Org has now been officially registered and we will transfer donations to the Mageia.Org bank account shortly. We will publish a monthly report about all financial aspects so that you can follow it in a very transparent way.
- Mageia Founders’ meetings: as you may know, the Founders have regular meetings every Monday. As Mageia’s main goal was to set a transparent governance model, we decided to improve all this process. An email will be sent to the mageia-discuss mailing-list before each meeting so that you can see a list of the topics that’re going to be discussed, you can then suggest more topics to be added to that list (of course, not every suggested topic will be included as each meeting is only 2-hour long, so reasonable prioritising of the topics list will have to be done). Also after each meeting the logs will be published and a notification email will be sent to the mageia-discuss mailing list (the logs are already published for all the previous meetings but they weren’t visible enough, this will be improved as you can see).
- Mageia repository layout: discussions are in progress on the mageia-dev mailing list and it’s planned that a final decision will be made by 6th of December. The discussions are based on this proposal. This should be also complemented by the Mageia policies about repositories content, especially about patented software, see the first draft.
- Mageia mailing-list server: Sympa will manage our mailing-lists. We are currently hosted by zarb.org (thanks again ). New configuration should be tested by the end of this week (more details)
- Mageia Build System: end of tunnel is near now! The Build System team still needs to deploy youri, the packages submission tool (repsys), and manage ssh and CatDap integration which should allow storage of all ssh keys in LDAP.
- Mageia Subversion repository: work will start this week to import SVN. A big cleaning process will happen to manage potential license problems and sort packages so that we can start on good basis. While Nicolas (boklm) organises specific applications repository cleaning (ex: drakxtools), Thomas (tmb) is working on packages repository (more information)
- Mageia teams: As explained here we will have various teams. Some of them already started like webteam, artwork, sysadm, marketing . Some others are on the way and if you registered on the wiki, you should receive a mail soon to start organization: packagers (Anne), triage (Ahmad), QA (Damien), translators (Wobo), communication (Caroline).
Finally, first alpha ISOs should be ready in January 2011. The first ISO has been delayed a bit as we want to be sure of starting with clean and rock solid basis.