We’re the Mageia community, and we are very happy to announce the release of Mageia 2!
We’ve had a great time building our community and our new release, and we hope you enjoy using it as much as we enjoyed making it.
You can get started right now – see what’s available, choose your version and download it from http://www.mageia.org/2/.
To find out more about Mageia 2 – what’s new and what’s going on in the Mageia community – read on:
What’s new in Mageia 2?
Mageia 2 is a completely new release; you can check the Release Notes to learn more about what’s inside.
You can also take a look at the list of packages upgraded from Mageia 1, by checking the Mageia Apps Database:
Why would you choose Mageia?
Mageia 2 is built from the best Free and Open Source software with a constantly expanding choice of apps – there is something for everyone’s taste.
Here are some of the nice things included in Mageia 2:
- KDE 4.8.2 – KDE 4.8.2 SC, the current release of the popular KDE desktop
- razorqt 0.4.1 – The latest release of the new lightweight Qt desktop
- GNOME 3.4.1
- XFCE 4.8.3
- Digikam and Showfoto 2.6 – The latest release of these leading photograph management systems
- VLC 2.0.1 – The latest version of the popular do it all media player
- Flash Player Plugin 11.2 – Up to date and secure version of Adobe’s popular web content player
- Skype – Easy installer for this common VOIP client
- Firefox ESR 10 – Long Term Support version of the Firefox Browser
- Chromium Browser 18 – The latest version of the Open Source upstream project for Google’s Chrome Browser
- GIMP 2.8 – Featuring the all new single window interface
- Amarok 2.5 -Popular media player written in Qt
For more information, check the Release Notes for the complete list.
Mageia is a community as well as a distribution. This means that you can be part of the teams putting your distro together; your voice is welcome as we work out where Mageia is going and how we’re getting there.
Mageia is all about communicating. We talk together on IRC, on the forums, on the wiki, on mailing lists; we meet often, and we welcome your feedback on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Identi.ca, Diaspora…
We’re a community distribution and we’re very happy for companies to be part of our community. We’ll even credit you!
Join us – be part of making your software the way you want it.
Mageia’s bug reporting system is open to everyone, as are the mailing lists and community support, making it easier for you to have your voice heard and follow what is happening – and you don’t need to subscribe or pay to have access to the fully tested and prompt security updates.
Nice New Clothes
Not only has Mageia’s look been updated, but the appearance of applications has been unified, giving a smoother appearance regardless of desktop:
Welcome to Mageia 2!